Good Morning/Good Afternoon,
I have so much to say as I feel like my heart is beating out of my chest and I am about to explode! A few more hours until we get Genuine, however I've been up for hours with nothing to do but think and reflect! We could not get the computer to work in our room so that is why we haven't blogged. We are using the office center!
Our journey started out great with an uneventful trip to the airport. Thanks, Walter and Margaret for the ride there. We did enter the wrong concourse and therefore had to go through security twice, lol! Even though we went through security twice, they didn't find a small pocketknife in Tanner's computer bag until we got to Japan, you know the one they gave out at church for Father's Day. Any how, I am getting way ahead of myself. The flight from New Orleans to Michigan was a nice easy flight with just enough of a lay over to grab a quick bite to eat and then board. Tanner, Ricky, and I along with 387 other people patiently waited to get settled in for the long trip. We had the last row of middle seats on the plane. This meant we couldn't recline our seats but we were first to be served and we were right next to the restrooms and an open space where I could stretch and stand when needed. I loved watching Ricky's excitement as he viewed the majority of Asian passengers. He commented that he was tall compared to most of the people on board and that dad was really tall. It occurred to me that you need to know where you come from before you can understand where you are going. It put things in the proper perspective and gave us a peak into Ricky's daily journey. He was no longer different, we were. I sometimes take for granted what Ricky has overcome and continues to overcome. I couldn't help but think of the verse that talks about us being the salt of the world. We are just a sprinkling of His seasoning, along with many others. It just makes me envision Heaven and all of the people groups praising the one true God!
The trip seemed to be a little harder this time, but I am a little older! Two 1/2 years ago, Ricky could put his head on my lap and his feet on Tanner's and sleep like a baby. This time, he is too big which meant he tossed and turned and moved as much as his seat would allow. His cast also presented comfort issues. This means his head hit mine or his cast or sometimes even his feet. At one point I got the giggles and could NOT stop laughing (about nine hours into the flight). Those of you who know me well have probably witnessed such an occasion. I was crying and snorting and I am sorry Lulu, I was thinking of you! I know all 400 passengers would have known how uncomfortable you were if you had been with us!!!!! I could also picture Austin tyring to sleep in the hermit crab shell of an airplane seat, legs and arms hanging out! I guess the laughter was needed to get me through the next six hours of flying that was still before us.
If Ricky's teachers are following the blog, we discussed chemical and physical changes as I mixed creamer in my coffee. We talked about air currents, terrain, landforms and horse power! We flew through time zones and crossed the international date line. We compared our first plane to our second and discussed culteral differences. Ricky figured out how much money he had to spend in pesos (with the help of my iphone converter). Thanks so much for allowing us this opportunity and know I am taking advantage of all of the teachable moments.
Some of my favorite moments were when Ricky used a toothpick to prick the words "I love u" through the plastic that covered his cake. He proudly told the customs agent he was from here, with a huge grin. He laughed because people don't stay in the lines when driving (I wasn't laughing). And, when I went to take a bath, he had rewritten the words "I love u" on the mirror. I guess when you have loved hard and lost, it is hard to love again. I so cherish the moments when Ricky risk sharing his love with me and recognize the courage it takes to do that.
Not surprisingly, God is teaching Tanner and I so much through the experience and I know it will make us better parents. I often wondered why Tanner and I lived in Espanola, New Mexico where I was the only "gringo" and it was on this trip that I figured out that it was part of the preparation for our adoption journey. It just took me 16 years to figure it out. Life is not a snapshot, God's got the big picture. It's up to us to allow Him to lead us.
I spent my sleepless morning hours speculating on our upcoming meeting with Genuine. I can't even begin to imagine what is going through her mind this morning. I have to admit, my nerves got the best of me for a little while and a few tears were shed, I'm sure they won't be the last, lol. Tanner was awesome and recognized we weren't getting any sleep so we just got up and began our day really early. Actuallly, they are waiting on me as I type because everybody is hungry. I have already discussed that today would be about Genuine with Ricky and seems very okay with the situation. I look forward with great anticipation to meeting our youngest daughter.
Georgia, the vibrating neck pillow helped more than you will ever know! John, your black neck pillow had a coffee bath! Mom and Dad thanks for taking care of the kids and animals. Jo and Bart, thanks for helping with youth. Sammy and Brooke, I so enjoyed our visit. Jen, I hope your side is feeling better. Cameron, congratulations our your TD! Go Wildcats! Friends and family, your prayer support is what got us this far, keep them coming. I am very blessed! Austin and Madison, I love and miss you guys and hope you have a great day at school tomorrow!
We've been checking every couple of hours to see how it's going for you, and we're delighted to know the trip was manageable and that you're THERE! Can't wait to hear about your meeting, too.
ReplyDeleteYou and your entire family are salty...you make those who meet you thirsty for Living Water...Praise God that Genuine will now be part of that!
I have also been checking all day for a blog post! We are so happy y'all made it there safely. We are continuing to pray for all of you and are thankful you are keeping in touch via your blog. Hugs from the Williamsons!
ReplyDeleteYeah! You made it! I'm glad you were able to stretch out & the flight wasn't horribly uncomfortable.
ReplyDeleteI love that you got the giggles & so wish I was there to see it. I can imagine you wiping tears from your face.
Just in case I haven't told you lately....I love you and am so inspired by your faithfulness to God's call on your life. You and Tanner are incredible parents & Genuine is so blessed to be joining such a loving family.
Praying for you! HUGS!
Hey sis - I'm not going to lie - when i saw "technical difficulties" my heart sank. I thought maybe there was something else wrong. Whew! I find myself constantly figuring out what time it is in the Philippines wondering what in the world is going on now. I would love to witness Ricky being surrounded by filipinos. He makes me so proud. Hug his neck for me and tell him that I count everyday as a blessing to have him in our lives. Miss Genuine - is she tall? is she timid? did she hug? Does she talk much? was she excited? Does she look 11? Can Ricky speak with her? So many questions!!! Can't wait to meet her and get to know her! So relieved to hear that y'all made it there safe. All is well here - Kids and pups are good to go. Honored to be your sis - can't wait to chat face to face about it all! Love you too Tanner.
ReplyDeleteI just saw your photos on Facebook! It looks like your first meeting went well, and we can't wait to hear all about it. I have so much hope and love for your entire family that I can't put it all into words, but especially for Ricky and Genuine during this trip. So many questions, like Stace, and so proud.
ReplyDeleteLove you all,
Jo